Thursday, August 11, 2011

Obligatory opening statement

I have resisted the urge to create a blog for quite a long time.  This was not a question being bashful, but of being lazy, and frankly worried that I would now have to actually write with some greater care and consistency.  The purpose in the end has been to subject myself to a certain discipline, and also to find an outlet for my writing which is actually less about dialogue.  I am tired of the self-indulgent call and response of message boards and list serves.  To the degree I find it easier to respond to others is the degree to which I feel I must cease to respond to others and do something less easy.

The title refers to the 45th aphorism of Theodore Adorno's Minima Moralia, itself a line from Georg Trakl's poem Heiterer Fruhling, about which I know nothing.  I happen to like the line, especially as capitalist society seems to measure its health by its growth, while to me it seems sickly in all meanings of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment